Government College, Ibadan (GCI) is a high school for boys founded on February 28, 1929 on the Hills of Apata Ganga, Ibadan in Western Nigeria. The vision of the British founders was to groom future leaders of the emerging nation of Nigeria. There were 29 pioneer students who resumed classes on May 29, 1929. The school has boarding facilities and the five dormitories were named Swanston House (1929), Grier House (1930), Field (1948), Carr (1949) and Powell (1973). The colors are Blue, Maroon, Green, Orange and Purple respectively. As a result of the Second World War, the school was temporarily moved to another site between 1940 and 1945. GCI has produced a steady stream of proven scholars, top notch public servants, elected officials and captains of business and industry making legitimate contributions to the growth and development of Nigeria, Africa and entire world.
Government College Ibadan Old Boys Association, North America (GCIOBANA)
The GCIOBA was established on December 18, 1934 with 14 alumni and 4 British staff of the school. The first alumni president, B.O Oguntimein was elected in 1946 with A.A.E Sagay as secretary. Chief G. Akin-Deko took over as president in 1951 and served until 1975. Justice T. Akinola Aguda also served as a secretary for a decade. GCIOBA has since expanded to all cities in Nigeria and globally to Europe, United States, South Africa, Asia, Australia and Canada. GCIOBANA was born out of GCIOBA to encompass the United States, Canada, and all the countries in North America.